Old 01-25-2011, 09:13 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
MissGuided

Originally Posted by brittbritt40 View Post
I have been following this since you first posted. I just wanted to say that you all have been in my prayers. I just keep thinking that this is what would have happened if my BF did not stop drinking. At the age of 21, his blood work showed that he was in the early stages of cirrhosis. He is now 31 and I am so shocked that he has been this lucky. It was starting to get bad though. He started having serious GI problems with bleeding, reflux, etc. His liver was very swollen as well and his liver enzymes were elevated. Anyway, just know that there are many people out there praying for you.
Hi Britt, thank you for your prayers.
You say bf is 31 - so has he stopped drinking as you seem to be talking about his medical issue in past tense? I hope so.

Yeah AH was told a loooong time ago that he had to stop drinking, probably late teens/early 20's. I believe that when alcohol starts effecting your liver that early, its a big warning sign that your liver cant process alcohol as well as someone elses may be able to...y'know?
I am a bartender (I know, go figure) and I have seen many heavy drinkers, alcoholics who just dont have the health problems AH did. (his 68 year old father included!)
I read somewhere that only 10-20% of heavy drinkers will develop cirhrhosis.
who knows? *sigh*