Thread: New to this...
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 12:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sugah
Om, Aum, Ohm...

You don't say how long you've been drinking, but if it's for any significant length of time, your family probably knows more than you think they do. If you haven't been drinking long and you continue to drink (supposing you are alcoholic), they'll eventually catch on. Alcoholism is chronic, progressive, and fatal if not arrested. I'd say there's a whole lot more potential shame in others finding out while you're drinking than in when you're recovering.

As for your concerns that you're from a prominent family--in AA meetings, I have met doctors and lawyers, teachers and school principles, heirs to considerable fortune, even one person who is world-renown in his field (and that's all I'll say about that). My own husband is an attorney who was serving on the school board when he went to rehab--and then finished his term when he returned without incident. Alcoholism doesn't respect your prominence in the community. It more or less levels the playing field. My husband's sponsor was a bank executive who, at the end of his drinking, was living in his car. Lots of other folks make it to us before they have lost that much, and some go back out until alcohol beats them into submission.

AA is discussed in the newcomer's forum because it works, so long as the newcomer brings the willingness. It works, as my friend John likes to say, for those living on the park bench as well as those living on Park Avenue.

I hope you do what you need to get sober, Roslyn. If you find out you can't do it alone, SR may be enough. If SR isn't enough, AA will welcome you. Most all of us have had issues with pride. Some put it aside to get sober and others wait until we just don't have any left. I hope you're one of the former.

Peace & Love,
Sugah