Thread: New to this...
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Lushwell
Ozone Ranger

Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I could use any words of wisdom/advice. I need help but cannot cope with the withdrawals. No one knows of my addiction (hard for me even to write.) And no one close to me ever will. I have hid this demon well for a long time. Looking for support in how to stop, as I cannot (obviously) do it myself.

Desperate...
One of the greatest anchors we have to our illness is our secrets. Protect the secret, protect the illness.

Few are properly equipped to combat this insidious disorder alone, on their own. That is a fantasy fueled by the illness.

You wish to protect your anonymity. Your privacy. Your secret. Ever try changing something you deny that you have? Kind of a contradiction. Chemical dependency is full of them. Most people don't get past the realization that something must be done. In the fog and confusion of the illness, they continue the cycle that is killing them. This has nothing to do with low moral values or weakness of will. It is chemical dependency at it's finest. Taking it's final harvest.

Anonymous. denoting an organization which provides help to applicants who remain anonymous: Alcoholics Anonymous.

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

What happens at AA, stays at AA. Who we see there, what we hear there, remains when we leave there.

My take on the cycle of chemical dependency, in this stage, where there is a recognition that some action must be taken, unfolds like this:

We will attempt to taper off. This will cause discomfort. Amplified by our non-existent threshold for discomfort. I mean, thats why we use, right? The discomfort has a built in safety mechanism that tells the brain that sufficient reason to use the chemical is present, and eminent damage will occur if the body does not ingest the chemical of choice immediately. All will be corrected if we use. This message from the brain can be triggered by such crisis as an overcast sky, or too bright of sunlight. We awaken with a renewed sense of guilt, shame, remorse. And try it again. Or maybe not.

Few people quit with the motivation that they can become a better citizen. Most are motivated by the pain that goes along with the lifestyle. There is nothing funny about the amount of pain that is required to overcome the pride and ego, and accept help. Especially when other options are available.