Thread: New to this...
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
least
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Are you addicted to alcohol or other drugs or both? Alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous so it's best to ask your doctor for help. If you have no doctor or aren't willing to go to your doctor you can go to the nearest ER and tell them you want to stop drinking and ask for help in getting safely thru the w/d.

Other addictions can be just as dangerous. Benzo w/d is a long process of being weaned off gradually.

No matter what you're addicted to, it's best to get medical advice and help in getting safely thru w/d. Once you're safely detoxed it's a good idea to have a support system in place, whether it's AA or NA or any of the other programs of sobriety. There is also inpatient rehab, outpatient programs, and addiction counseling. Any of these methods can be very helpful in staying sober.

You'll find a lot of support and useful information here. I hope we can help you as much as this site has helped me. I've got over a year sober now and don't regret a minute of it. I feel better than I have in a long time and am looking forward to a sober life for the rest of my days.

Here's a thread with many of our experiences in quitting alcohol.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html