View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kindeyes

Trust. BIG topic.

I trust in degrees. I trust myself first and foremost. Everyone else, I trust in degrees. Some people I place a lot of trust in (my husband and my mother). Others I place a very low level of trust in (employees and strangers.....lol). Everyone else in my life is somewhere on that scale between high and low levels of trust--the majority being in the mid to low level on that scale.

Trust goes hand in hand with acceptance in a way. I accept the fact that I cannot trust most people. I accept them at face value. I invest myself in the relationship to the degree that I can trust them. I can still enjoy being around them. I can still go bowling with them and have a great time. I can laugh. I just won't tell them my deepest darkest fears or secrets or lend them money thinking they'll really pay me back.

I use to expect perfection from everyone around me. Perfect trust. Perfect honesty. Perfect friendship. Perfect love. It was an unrealistic expection (and control issue) that I carried with me for years. I've learned that it wasn't others who were failing me......it was me failing myself and setting myself up for disappointment. It was a reflection of the way I was raised by people who had been raised with their own set of life's disappointments.

As I said, trust is such a huge topic. One that could be discussed from a bajillion different angles. Great topic! Thank you for posting. I'm looking foward to hearing other's feedback!

gentle hugs

Last edited by Kindeyes; 01-17-2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: I forgot to give gentle hugs to everyone