View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Lushwell
Ozone Ranger

Two things I gleaned from a very expensive higher education:

1. A hot beaker looks just like a cold beaker. Not everything is at it seems.

2. Statistics do not lie. Statisticians do. All statistics can be influenced.

We have influence over one set of statistics regarding AA and recovery....

Our own.

There is no way an honest assessment can be compiled for AA recovery statistics, as there isn't any constant to benchmark from. The people, the history, the environment, the support or lack of it, the social influences, the intellect, moral background, social, physical and mental ramifications all contribute, and vary from person to person.

We can influence the statistics of one outcome. Ours. 100% success is the goal, and you can hit it everyday. Just. Don't. Drink. That may be hard. There is a program to follow to ensure success. It hasn't failed to work. Some have failed to follow it.

So. Some statement read that AA enjoys a 3-7% success rate. I can submit a 100% success rate. I base my submission on the fact I did not drink, did not suffer an agonizing existence, was not socially deviant, legally dangerous, financially irresponsible, and acted in a generally non-selfish, considerate manner towards all this entire day. And a considerable amount of days prior to this one.

And there is a painful, colorful history that qualifies my being here.

I have no objective in posting this other than to bear witness to the fact that what was once going on in my life and killing me, has ended. And how that came about. And what keeps this from reoccurring. 100% successful.