Thread: Alcohol Dreams?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Zube

Alcohol Dreams?

My first week in AA, while traveling with 3 other alcoholics to a speaker meeting, I was warned of "alcohol dreams". I had yet to have one, but was forwarned by the other 3 in the car that I most certainly will (they all had, and some still have).

Well, last night I did. I dreamt that I was at an old friends house from highschool, and there was sort of a reunion of friends going on. All was well until I was offered a shot of whiskey, and took it. Shortly after, I recall slamming some beers, then actually coming back from a blackout in my dream, confused, looking for my coat, and knowing that I F***ed up and drank. I felt miserable that I broke my sobriety, but came up with a plan that I would tell people "It's like learning to ride a bike, if you fall off, you get back on and try again"... I still felt ashamed.

Then I woke up. It took a few minutes before I had realized that I had not taken a drink and it was only a dream. I got out of bed, got on my knees, said the serenity prayer, and thanked God that it was only a dream.

I know it was only a dream, but man was it powerful! Anybody else experience these "alcohol dreams"?

52 days sober, 24 hours at a time, with the help of God.

Zube
November 21, 2010