Notices

Alcohol Dreams?

Old 01-11-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol Dreams?

My first week in AA, while traveling with 3 other alcoholics to a speaker meeting, I was warned of "alcohol dreams". I had yet to have one, but was forwarned by the other 3 in the car that I most certainly will (they all had, and some still have).

Well, last night I did. I dreamt that I was at an old friends house from highschool, and there was sort of a reunion of friends going on. All was well until I was offered a shot of whiskey, and took it. Shortly after, I recall slamming some beers, then actually coming back from a blackout in my dream, confused, looking for my coat, and knowing that I F***ed up and drank. I felt miserable that I broke my sobriety, but came up with a plan that I would tell people "It's like learning to ride a bike, if you fall off, you get back on and try again"... I still felt ashamed.

Then I woke up. It took a few minutes before I had realized that I had not taken a drink and it was only a dream. I got out of bed, got on my knees, said the serenity prayer, and thanked God that it was only a dream.

I know it was only a dream, but man was it powerful! Anybody else experience these "alcohol dreams"?

52 days sober, 24 hours at a time, with the help of God.

Zube
November 21, 2010
Old 01-11-2011, 08:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My problem is, I have dreams about bar scenes, people I see, talk to and I don't know if it really happened or did happen.

Drinking does strange things to our chemical make up, takes time to undo this mess.

Congrats on 52 days!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The first few nights after I stopped I drank every night in my dreams. I would forget that I had quit, drink, then realize what I had done and feel incredibly ashamed and hopeless.

I haven't had those dreams since. I imagine these dreams are common but I hope they don't come back.

Giraffe
Old 01-11-2011, 08:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sober time Zube! I have 39 today. A while back, I saw a post about drunk dreams. I hadn't had any, but about a week later, sure enough, I did. I think it must be a natural subconscious thing for some even if the suggestion hasn't been planted by another. My dream focused around the anxiety of knowing I was going to fail a pee test and have to start my 90 day recovery program all over again because I had picked up a beer without thinking and drank 4 big swallows before remember I had quit. Yep, I was so glad to wake up and realize it was only a dream! Unfortunately, I had insomnia for quite a while after that. Last night, I finally got a little better sleep, but still woke up once in an unknown panic of sorts. On the bright side,it's good to know even my subconscious cares!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I've been sober for 18+ months now and, as time goes by, those drinking dreams have become much less frequent and have decreased in intensity.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

There are many threads on SR about this....do a Forum Search
if you are interested.....
sure...I've had them too...the longer I stayed sober...the less they happened.

Way to go on your sober time Zube.....
Old 01-11-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The first three months I had about three or four just like what you describe, and so happy when i woke up!!
Old 01-11-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

I can relate Zube.

I'm at day 88 and I just had my first alcohol dream last night.

It was mostly the same dream over and over again almost all night long.

I was hanging out with a buddy and we were partying and drinking. I would wake up (in my dream) the next day hungover and be so pissed and scared that I broke down and drank. I felt the hangover, the guilt, everything like it were real.
Sometimes during the dream I would wake up from that dream (a dream within a dream) and realize it was just a dream and feel relieved but then the other reality would happen - the drinking and partying with the same buddy.

This happened over and over all night last night - it sucked.

There it's on "paper" - kiss it alcohol!
Old 01-11-2011, 11:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Last night I had a dream that I confessed to someone (sort of a random person I know) that I had a problem and was changing my life.