Old 01-10-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
least
bona fido dog-lover

Nearly four years ago I put up a simple little fence in my front yard to keep my dogs safe, both from running away and from other dogs or people coming into their 'space'. It took me three days and my brother helped me install the gates but it's the best thing I ever did.

It wasn't chain link fencing, just simple 'garden fencing', (three feet tall, vinyl coated 'chicken wire-type' but sturdier than chicken wire) not really escape-proof, but then my dogs are small and not inclined to dig under or jump over. It only cost me a bit under two hundred dollars for the fencing and the gate materials. Of course I never leave them out there by themselves but always go out with them.

Is putting up fencing a possibility for you? Depending on where you live too may make a difference. For instance, I live in Ohio and the ground is now frozen and it would be hard, if not impossible, to put in the stakes.

If you like I can tell you how I put it up and what materials I used.

Your dog runs away even when tied out? Is it a big dog or just clever enough to get loose? What kind of tie-out are you using? When I just had one dog and no fence I used the plastic coated metal cable tie-outs and it worked well except for her getting tangled up sometimes. THe vinyl coated tie outs are available in different lengths and strengths for different sizes of dogs. They don't last forever tho, as the metal gets old and 'brittle' and can break off.

PM me if you like. I hope your dog stays put from now on.