Old 01-09-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
reggiewayne

Hi Dessycrate. What you're feeling is the RESULT of drinking. If you can remove the alcohol it's very likely that the feelings you are having will cease. I have been sober for a little while now and I still have problems, but self hatred is not one of them. When I was drinking I did hate myself for a long time. Drinking dominated my life. I was either drinking, planning on drinking, planning on not drinking, or hungover. It consumed me.

I have found AA, this site, different books, and a plan of action that has helped replace the space that alcohol used to attempt to fill. I'm sorry you are having a tough time right now, but just know that you can change. If we work a plan of recovery more will be revealed to us. In other words, you can look forward to growing as a person. It's all about small steps.

For me, when I was active in my disease I saw my flaws and had no idea on how they would ever change. I set forth so many ways to tackle them and change them. I had little patience and was very hard on myself. I would (without fail) fall short of the changes and return to what I knew, alcohol. I would then drink for a time, get sick of it, then try and change everything at once again. Fail, and repeat.... It was so frustrating and I arrived at the point of being hopeless.

Today, I try and live day by day. I try and force my actions (in spite of my feelings / thoughts). I don't try and score an 80 point touchdown. In other words, I try and chip away daily and just try and be a better person in the here and now. In doing this, I have learned to accept myself better and I am in a much better place.

Best of luck to you. Change is not easy, but it is obtainable.