View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
YouAreNumberOne

Hello everyone, well, almost time for bed but I've stopped in.

Saturday night here. I said to my wife just before dinner "you know, we would have normally open a bottle of wine by now". I wondered what her response would be. She said "well, I only feel like drinking now if we have guests over". I haven't mentioned that a) I'm an alcoholic or b) that I've given up for good. I guess she realises that I've stopped (but probably doesn't understand that it's for good).

I had that little voice say "what is there to look forward to tonight?". Ie, nudge, nudge, wink, wink - a couple of bottles of fine shiraz would do the trick but of course, I can see through that "smoke and mirrors" trick. Shiraz = alcohol =not fun = devastation. Regroove that thought process, Rosco.

Zuri, my thoughts are with you. I don't know the AA path, all I know is that I got alot from reading Allen Carr's "Easy way to stop drinking". It's was a big help to me because it was the start of me giving up and seeing booze for what it really was. Secondly, (sorry for sounding like a broken record), Eckhart Tolle (get the Cd's instead of the book - much easier) to understand how the mind can dominate a person. We are not our minds. To be honest, I agree with Eckhart - meditation is great but you can actually skip this step. Analogy? You learn to take to ferry across the English channel but then find out much later, you could drive the tunnel - you get there but it's much quicker.

NoAlcoholToday - great photo! Thanks for this. The rolling hills will get you fit in no time!

Iamlivingfree - wonderful post - congrats on 62 days! I'm going to try using your #8 "After a particularly stressful day i'm not thinking "i deserve/need a drink", but i'm thinking more on the lines of "what have I learnt" .

Well Team, off to bed. 10:39pm. Early! Got to finish my bookclub book (Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer).

Stay strong everyone - alcohol is the pits - we all know that - it's the OPPOSITE of being desirable. Noone wants to swallow poison.

Rosco.
Life=Fun; Alcohol=Devastation.