Administrator

90 Days and Under Part 4

Keep up the great work guys

old thread here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-3-a-20.html

D
Old 01-04-2011, 03:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What's up with this...sleeping by 10:30 and awake by 4:30 getting ready to enjoy the day. Last winter Monday nights was my winter indoor golf league (i mean drinking league) after new year. I politely declined this year. A friend called me Sunday to ask if i would play on his team as a replacement for his partner who was away last night. Just the thought of going to that sports bar made me physically ill...he understood.

Coop, glad you made it through your tough stretch. Reading those newbie posts was a great idea. We truly have come so far...and this journey just gets better and better.

IALF...the best to you at achieving your new plan for work this year.

Nat....so you now have your wife as part of your force field...pretty cool

Tin Man...what is it, like 8 weeks sober today...great stuff!

Giraffe, thanks for sharing your family story...good luck with the counseling thing as well...that has really worked wonders for me

Oh -2, how i love those dancing/cheering things you find to accompany your posts...they always make me laugh! I so enjoy being on this sober journey with you!!

Rosco...enjoyed your nye story...any tips on meditation...would love to learn how, previous attempts have not hit home yet

Phytoman...bet you had a great family ny...how's the "nosmo king" thing going?....means no smoking...a western pa inside joke...sorry

Akasha...cursing up on 8 weeks...you ROK!!

Zuri....where are you...we miss you...same for WTS....come on back!!!

Well <90 gang...i must rock on....may -2's force be with you

ttyl

Carlos
Old 01-04-2011, 03:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow…re-read my post and realized what an ignoramus I was for not thanking DEE for being the glue that holds this all together for we newbie’s…Thanks & Love Ya Dee
Old 01-04-2011, 05:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Carlos!

Great post and lots to read! Not a lot from me - it's almost time for me to retire for the night and perhaps read my bookclub book. About tips on meditation??!! I learnt meditation years ago - fantastic but it took Eckhart Tolle (the CD's are best) to understand I am not my mind and thoughts. Overthinking is just the pits. He's also good at describing how the ego works - very cunning is the old ego - you clear the mind and the ego sneaks in via the back door. I was very ego and mind driven and it was very strange for me to not be able to give up the booze. I thought I could control everything. I feel I am a much better person now, more balanced I think and certainly happier. I'm the born optimist and this really helps my positive outlook in life. So, the insidious nature of alcoholism was and still is a strange thing to understand. Enough of my ramblings though.

I really agree with you Carlos that it's a wonderful and very positive thing that everyone is still working, reading and contributing to the posts and that we made it through the difficult period of christmas and new year. It threw up challenges to all of us - let's hope we can get back to even keel asap.

Zuri and WatchTheSky, I hope all is well.

Everyone, keep strong!

Rosco.
Life=Fun; Alcohol=Devastation.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day 56 for me. Things are going pretty good. Everything bad that happend with family on Sunday got fixed on Monday. I listened, prayed and accpeted the fact that I also was in the wrong.

Talked to my temp sponsor today and got some good words and advice.

Hope everyone has a great day. God bless you and stay sober!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey all, hope everyone is having a great day.

Went to the Dr. yesterday for the first time in I don't know how long. Figured it was about time to find out what kind of damage I've done to myself over the years. Came totally clean with the doc and told him the actual amounts of drinking and smoking I've done over the last 20 years. He was very cool... ordered a bunch of x-rays and blood work to see where I'm at.

Went this morning and had all of the tests done. I don't know why I am posting this, I just needed to share it because I am really nervous about what these tests are going to reveal. At least I'll know where I stand going forward.

Have a good one!

Coop
Old 01-04-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Coop, how brave you are! Of course it's better to know where you stand. I might have to follow your example and do the same. I was thinking about it the other day but decided to wait few months... not very brave.

I went to the counselor today. It was interesting. The counselor is a young girl. Witch is fine if she has the knowledge needed for the job.
The interview was about 20 min long. I talked for 19. She didn't know about any programs except rehab and AA meetings. She did not know about the program the psych ward at the hospital provides (it's on their website).
She didn't know about any books she could recommend.
She made this "wow" sound combined with a facial expression when I described how much I was drinking before. Seriously. I almost laughed.
She had no information on anything except that she is in AA and she likes it.

And the best part: I booked another appointment with her in two weeks. Because my first impressions are very often wrong.

I went to the bookstore afterwards and found some books myself. On of them was The Power Of Now by Echart Tolle, and when I came here YouAreNumberOne is recommending Tolle!

Tomorrow I will try my first AA meeting. Taking a deep breath (hate closed spaces with many people).

Hope everyone is having a good day.

G.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Giraffe, good luck on your first AA meeting. Hope you can breath easy. Just remember that everyone in there is just like you and I.

Coop, thinking about you and the results. Praying for the best. But don't invite trouble. Try not to worry.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL no worries Carlos - I'm not here for the glory

this was awesome Giraffe
And the best part: I booked another appointment with her in two weeks. Because my first impressions are very often wrong.
That was one of my best lessons too - I have a tendency to be impulsive and impatient and quick to snap judgements and I've often done myself no favours by being that way.

At least this way you can make an informed decision on the counsellor and the counselling

D
Old 01-05-2011, 12:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone,

Tinman, you've scooted through 8 weeks already, yeah!

Coop, going to the Dr. is such a good idea, a really proactive thing to do. Information is power. Whatever the results you'll be better placed to do what you need to do. The body is amazing at healing itself. Now i'm thinking that I should follow your lead.

Giraffe, thanks for your post, it's such an inspiration to hear so many of us committing to the journey wholeheartedly.

This certainly is a big year year for us all. It will be interesting to look back on these posts in a years time and realise the distance we will have gone.

Have a great day all.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good morning all. I hope everyone has a great day and stay strong and sober. Day 57 and pray to God that he helps me fight the battle again today.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Just wanted to post that i am in a slump! I am actually happy about this because it means I'm not necessarily lazy, depressed, or generally pitiful lol I'm just in a slump and this too shall pass
Old 01-05-2011, 06:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm just in a slump and this too shall pass
You're right, it will pass! And you'll still be sober when it does.

Giraffe, good for you on the counseling. I treasure my counselor, she is a huge help to me in staying sober and getting the most out of my life. I asked her once what her experience was with addiction - she was addicted to weed. She successfully got and stayed clean and threw herself into helping others with their addictions. What a gem! And she loves horses too! What a bonus - an animal lover.

Congrats to all on your sober progress and may this be your best year ever!!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well, the doc called this morning and already had my results.

Cholesterol/triglycerides are a little high, sugar is a little high. Other than that everything seems to be OK. I feel like God has given me a free pass today. Just one more reason to keep on living clean and sober. Thanks again for all of the support. With a little exercise and some diet changes it looks like everything is going to be just fine.

Have a great day today!

Coop
Old 01-05-2011, 12:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you had good news Coop
hope you can get yourself out of your slump LLG

D
Old 01-05-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Coop, that's fabulous news, and good on your Doc for giving you the results so quickly.

I feel that we've all been given another chance to move forward, and not have to spend too much time looking in the rear-view mirror.

LLG, you're so right, slumps most certainly come and go. Hopefully your slump will skedaddle soon. Next time I get one i'll call it a "skedaddling slump", that will bring it down to size.

Hope everyone's had/having a good day,
Speak tomorrow
Old 01-05-2011, 02:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IWLSAST View Post
What's up with this...sleeping by 10:30 and awake by 4:30 getting ready to enjoy the day. Last winter Monday nights was my winter indoor golf league (i mean drinking league) after new year. I politely declined this year. A friend called me Sunday to ask if i would play on his team as a replacement for his partner who was away last night. Just the thought of going to that sports bar made me physically ill...he understood.

Coop, glad you made it through your tough stretch. Reading those newbie posts was a great idea. We truly have come so far...and this journey just gets better and better.

IALF...the best to you at achieving your new plan for work this year.

Nat....so you now have your wife as part of your force field...pretty cool

Tin Man...what is it, like 8 weeks sober today...great stuff!

Giraffe, thanks for sharing your family story...good luck with the counseling thing as well...that has really worked wonders for me

Oh -2, how i love those dancing/cheering things you find to accompany your posts...they always make me laugh! I so enjoy being on this sober journey with you!!

Rosco...enjoyed your nye story...any tips on meditation...would love to learn how, previous attempts have not hit home yet

Phytoman...bet you had a great family ny...how's the "nosmo king" thing going?....means no smoking...a western pa inside joke...sorry

Akasha...cursing up on 8 weeks...you ROK!!

Zuri....where are you...we miss you...same for WTS....come on back!!!

Well <90 gang...i must rock on....may -2's force be with you

ttyl

Carlos
I really need to learn to count tomorrow is 10 wks. 10/28-1/6
Old 01-05-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Coop, that is good news!

I went to an AA meeting at the local church. It was... interesting. After I sat down I looked around and saw only men (and 90% around 55-60 years old). I asked a man sitting next to me: Is this a men only meeting? Nope, just a normal meeting.

Anyway, after the meeting an older gentleman asked me if I needed a sponsor. I tried to explain that this was my first AA anything and I knew nothing about it. But he wouldn't budge and said he knew a brilliant woman my age that would be a great sponsor ... and in the end I gave him my phone number to give to her.
Apparently I'm now giving my phone number to strangers and saying yes to anything.

I have no idea how I feel wright now. (is it wright or right?)
I have a feeling that 2011 will be an interesting year.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Akasha View Post
I really need to learn to count tomorrow is 10 wks. 10/28-1/6
Opps....sorry Akasha...actually not certain of my reference point...perhaps i am the on that needs to learn to count.

Anyway, i can certainly rememer from this point foreward, as my sober date is 10-29-10...that makes you +1.

Soioo, based on your calculation, friday makes 10 weeks for me...seems more like 10 years...kidding...kinda?

Coop, great news my sober friend!

Tinman...let's keep fighting this battle 2gether...strength in numbers!

LLG, i get you...nothing like a good slump to REALLY enjoy the good times! Sign me up coach.

Giraffe, it is such a bonus to realize we old dudes still can score a phone number with some lame wrap...just joking...really mean good luck with AA!

Tata <90's

Carlos
Old 01-05-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

right is right Giraffe

D