View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 06:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Tomsson
Sick doctor

No-one agrees I'm an alcoholic

Hi all,

I'm a relatively high-functioning alcoholic (never been fired... yet) with a drinking habit that seems well-concealed in plain sight. My sister, a GP (aka family physician), recently mentioned when we were both very drunk that one or two people in the family were finally a bit worried about my self-reported drinking. I'm very close to my family, and to my in-laws, but there's lots of good wine around, and I'm known to wheel out the good stuff regularly myself.

My wife says I'm not an alcoholic, even when I declare myself. I'm not sure whether this is from a self-interested perspective on her part, as there's a lot of interest in me continuing to drink socially. I've not had a drink since last Sunday (2nd Jan), but face a test tomorrow night when we dine with some heavy drinking in-laws.

What are my strategies?

[Well, I've been on medication for depression and anxiety for ten months, and seeing a cognitive behavioural therapist for a month or so now, which has given me two angles of attack -

i) say that I'm giving my medication a chance to work

ii) using some of the listing techniques I've been given to draw up a list of all of the nice wine bottles I own, and thinking of them as gifts to the people I want to share time with - is this too subtle?]

My mission? I've told myself I want to be a generous, tolerant non-drinker...