Thread: Plan to Leave
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 09:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Jadmack25

Hi Boomer, welcome to the Sanity Site known as Sober Recovery Family & Friends.

I was married for 27 years, when I felt the need to get out, and my then AH, who was happy to choose drink over me and said so for the following week...scared the removal men by his demented looks, and his inspection of every box or case I removed.
I finally told him that if he didn't get out of our way, I would call police into the mix and have him removed until I was gone, and pointed out that the lease was in my name only.

It took me a week to find a flat I could live with for 6 months, til I got sorted out and able to see where I wanted to be. It wasn't the best time of my life, but it sure beat watching a once wonderful husband drink himself into another personality.

Whether your AH takes you seriously isn't up to you to enforce, and I wouldn't even try to get into opening his foggy fantasy world up to the reality, as that would be
almost impossible.

I would get Legal advice before I made a move, as I didn't think about his superannuation plan, and by the time I did, he'd spent it and was living off just the age pension. I missed out on about 80,000 dollars I was entitled to.

I would also have a trusted someone to be there as my backup, just in case of any nasty behavior, as an A seeing his/her "trained" enabler walk out, is likely to be a very peeved person.

Make sure all personal papers, documents and treasures of yours are placed in a safe place, and not able to be accessed by him.

Finances, eg your joint bank accounts, credit cards, phone contracts, anything with your name attached to his....I would get off any I could now, and take steps to remove myself from others that may take more time.

The less you have in common, the less contact you need....and that is priceless.

Others will come and give ideas, but this is a start.

I wish you all the best.