Thread: Dry Drunk?
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 03:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Nyte Byrd

While AA may not have tibs on recovery, I have found it to be the most expedient and the most fun from my own experience in the past 23 years. Prior to that, it wasn't much fun with the white knuckling ways I tried.

I found that unless a person at least goes through some 'process' of change somehow....the old adage holds true.

If you take the drink from a drunken horse thief, yer still left with a horse thief. The root of our problem we believe is selfishness and self-centeredness. It turned out I actually had to fix a thinking problem more than a drinking problem. It is why 'alcohol' is only mentioned in the first step. But before the other steps can do any good, one needs to put the plug in the jug.

I have seen the Promises come true for many before the were halfway through the steps, just as they say. But it does take action and it does take time. How soon should someone begin working the steps? How soon does someone wish to get sober?

I've seen cases, where all the husband did was stop drinking. No recovery. No meetings. And it resulted with his wife telling him she liked him better when he was drunk.