View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 04:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Nyte Byrd

Well, it sounds like it's safe to say, you won't be one of those nauseating women on Wheel of Fortune I see on TV who are always mentioning their WONDERFUL husband Tom, or Bill, or Jerry. Gawd, I hate when my wife watches that show.

I am sorry you have had to endure such undeserved abuse.

Being you mention it is a long story, I will have to assume there are more problems related.

Being in a marriage that wasn't exactly the easiest to stay sober in, trust me, I sure can identify, and it brings me back to when I had 30 days in 1987. Although I was not pounded with champagne over my head, what I did experience was her reacting in a violent huff, smashing a glass in the sink because she misunderstood something I said, took the kids, kicked her foot through our front door smashing the wood in and leaving me sitting there.

Now, you KNOW what I wanted to do. I was a heroin user for 18 years, too. But I called this counselor in recovery I knew who was in AA I knew. I had been going to the meetings. I had just come out of my second rehab a month prior and all I got for support from her was 'thanks for leaving me with the kids' and 'you may as well go use, cause you're always going to those meetings'. This guy told me to go to the next meeting at 8:00 which was fairly soon. I don't know how I brought myself to go. I don't even know how I brought myself to even call him other then remembering the THINK IT THROUGH slogan. I REALLY just wanted to go use and ease the pain. BUT I went to the meeting. When it was my turn to share, all I remember is pounding the table, and yelling..."I don't even know what the F I am doing here and I told everyone what had just happened. The guy next to me got up for more coffee. I must have made him real nervous, cause I noticed when he came back he went to sit somewhere else.

Well, a few people shared how they were shocked I was even able to come to the meeting under such duress and how proud they were of me. Later, I couldn't even remember the last time my own father told me how proud he was of me. I think maybe some of them were questioning their own fortitude whether they could have brought themselves to come to the meeting or not.

After the meeting, I had calmed down a bit, and outside some older guy came up to me and asked how I felt now.

Grudgingly, I said to him,,,,,'well,,,a LITTLE better'. He said back to me.....'the nerve of those people'. I asked him what he meant by that. He said....'there you were in a perfectly good miserable mood, and they went and ruined it on ya.'

Thank God for AA and the ones with a sense of humor who helped me get through those hard times.

Not sure why you are wondering why this would count as a slip if champage was being poured on you. You weren't looking up at the time, were you?

Hang in there.