View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 12:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
FT

You don't say how old you are, but I'm guessing you're still young. My husband and I both drank together for about 20 years, and one day I just stopped. I realized it was madness and destroying me. Three months later, my husband stopped too. Since then, I found out my addiction can take other forms, and I got addicted to injectible opiates for a couple of years, hidden from him. I lied so well it destroyed both of our careers in one fell swoop and we lost everything we owned. Our kids were grown by then, and we split up a brief time (3 months). After years in an invested relationship, we were still in love, fortunately, and he forgave me and we got back together.

Addicts don't always learn their lesson, and I got addicted AGAIN, this time to oxycodone. I am now 16 days clean. I have a chance to rebuild our lives after ten years since the last fall from grace.

I have hurt my husband badly, yet he still loves me.

I don't know if I am making any point here. Maybe what I am trying to say is that you have to find it in yourself whether the love you have for this woman is strong enough to withstand the destruction she is wreaking on your lives. Is it possible that you know only PART of what she is doing? She is destroying herself, and there is something in her that does not WANT to recover. Until she finds that, she's in deep trouble.

I would suggest counseling with both of you with a good addiction counselor. Join something like Al-Anon, and share stories with similar people. I have found, as I heal once again, that hearing others stories helps me understand what I did to myself and my husband. I am truly lucky he is still with me.