View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 05:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
michelle01

It seems you've traded one unhealthy addiction for another - sex and adrenaline from risk taking behavior. In no way can we condone this, but the first step is recognizing the problem and effects on others, I hope that you are doing that and are ready to take responsibility.

Any normally healthy activity, even participating in a recovery program itself, sports, exercise, etc can be taken to extremes and become an addiction in itself when we try to become clean/sober. When it begins disrupting your life and relationships to the significant degree it is in yours, it is time to be addressed.

I'd perhaps look around for a program for sex addiction in your area or the resources, as suggested. Part of maturing in recovery I believe is taking responsibility for one's own actions, thinking through impulses before acting upon them, and recognizing the impact on others. While we cannot help certain circumstances, such as a predisposition to addictive behavior and some of the chemical changes the disease causes, with resultant influence on behavior, we do have a choice in how we confront and address the problem, to find alternative solutions. The cycle can be broken with intervention.