Thread: Hi Everyone
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 10:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Orkney

Hi Everyone

Quick introduction as new here and not quite sure where to begin.

Been through a pretty tough couple of years, 3 years ago saw the end of a 15 year relationship under very unusual circumstances. Think I’m over that as the past now but the legal matters are still not resolved which add to daily stress & anxiety.

Live alone in a very isolated place, have a wonderful rescued dog for company, a beach on the doorstep, and never does a day pass when I don’t enjoy rugged nature at it’s best.

Was told by the doctor after end of relationship I had depression (although have never felt depressed) prescribed all sorts of anti depressant drugs, none of which made me feel any better, often worse in fact.

Have always been a daily drinker since late teens, (just turned 44) maybe 10 units every day, more at weekends.
During the last 2 years a combination of things, boredom, a little self pity perhaps, isolation etc saw the alcohol intake increase to a steady 20-30 units per day.
Most worrying over the last 6 months this has escalated to drinking within an hour of waking in the morning. This had the knock on effect of suppressing appetite, so was losing weight like crazy to the extent of having to force myself to eat.
Last 3 days before quitting never ate a single thing in fact.

Something had to change. The realisation finally came that the alcohol was ruling me & affecting daily life.
Spent a couple of weeks thinking about it and decided that birthday was as good a day as any to attempt to stop for good (lousy memory so at least would remember the date when successful).
Went cold turkey, and it’s now day 12.
Saw the doc day 4, got some diazepam to take if required. And a referral for 1 to 1 counselling, but because of Christmas & new year this will not begin for another week at least.

First week was fairly rough (bit of an understatement), days 2-3 intense sweats, flu like muscular pain, stomach cramps, & very disorientated.
Things got better for a few days but last 2 have been hard going again and not sure why. Can only describe it as 50% of the time feeling very light headed, almost like drinking 5 beers quickly.
Fair lack of concentration & co-ordination (dropped many plates & dishes etc) a return of muscular pain although only slight compared to the initial lot.
An unquenchable thirst & dry mouth as well as finding verbal conversation hard work.

Have taken half a valium yesterday & today, although such a small dose imagine it’s benefits are more psychosomatic than anything else.
Strangely (from my perspective) have not craved beer/cider in the slightest. That said though it will no doubt be inevitable one day hence seeking the referral for counselling to deal with the problem in the long term.

Spent a lot of time reading up on the web, and of course there are infinite variations of what to do & what to expect.
Thought joining this forum might be a good way to find out first hand the experiences of others when it comes to withdrawal symptoms & the length of time they can be expected to last.
On a positive note, 100% determined to succeed to the bitter end. Despite the withdrawal symptoms have regained an incredibly healthy appetite and when not feeling fuzzy headed the world looks a different place. Almost as if everything is in HD!

Anyway folks, that’s the very short version, very glad to have found this forum, season greetings one and all