Notices

Hi Everyone

Old 12-26-2010, 10:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone

Quick introduction as new here and not quite sure where to begin.

Been through a pretty tough couple of years, 3 years ago saw the end of a 15 year relationship under very unusual circumstances. Think I’m over that as the past now but the legal matters are still not resolved which add to daily stress & anxiety.

Live alone in a very isolated place, have a wonderful rescued dog for company, a beach on the doorstep, and never does a day pass when I don’t enjoy rugged nature at it’s best.

Was told by the doctor after end of relationship I had depression (although have never felt depressed) prescribed all sorts of anti depressant drugs, none of which made me feel any better, often worse in fact.

Have always been a daily drinker since late teens, (just turned 44) maybe 10 units every day, more at weekends.
During the last 2 years a combination of things, boredom, a little self pity perhaps, isolation etc saw the alcohol intake increase to a steady 20-30 units per day.
Most worrying over the last 6 months this has escalated to drinking within an hour of waking in the morning. This had the knock on effect of suppressing appetite, so was losing weight like crazy to the extent of having to force myself to eat.
Last 3 days before quitting never ate a single thing in fact.

Something had to change. The realisation finally came that the alcohol was ruling me & affecting daily life.
Spent a couple of weeks thinking about it and decided that birthday was as good a day as any to attempt to stop for good (lousy memory so at least would remember the date when successful).
Went cold turkey, and it’s now day 12.
Saw the doc day 4, got some diazepam to take if required. And a referral for 1 to 1 counselling, but because of Christmas & new year this will not begin for another week at least.

First week was fairly rough (bit of an understatement), days 2-3 intense sweats, flu like muscular pain, stomach cramps, & very disorientated.
Things got better for a few days but last 2 have been hard going again and not sure why. Can only describe it as 50% of the time feeling very light headed, almost like drinking 5 beers quickly.
Fair lack of concentration & co-ordination (dropped many plates & dishes etc) a return of muscular pain although only slight compared to the initial lot.
An unquenchable thirst & dry mouth as well as finding verbal conversation hard work.

Have taken half a valium yesterday & today, although such a small dose imagine it’s benefits are more psychosomatic than anything else.
Strangely (from my perspective) have not craved beer/cider in the slightest. That said though it will no doubt be inevitable one day hence seeking the referral for counselling to deal with the problem in the long term.

Spent a lot of time reading up on the web, and of course there are infinite variations of what to do & what to expect.
Thought joining this forum might be a good way to find out first hand the experiences of others when it comes to withdrawal symptoms & the length of time they can be expected to last.
On a positive note, 100% determined to succeed to the bitter end. Despite the withdrawal symptoms have regained an incredibly healthy appetite and when not feeling fuzzy headed the world looks a different place. Almost as if everything is in HD!

Anyway folks, that’s the very short version, very glad to have found this forum, season greetings one and all
Old 12-26-2010, 11:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dismember

Welcome Orkney.

I think if you browse back through the newcomer forum or wait to see those that'll be coming in you'll notice a lot of similarities in everyone's stories.

I can definitely relate to a lot of yours, the amount being drunk, the problems with boredom/isolation, taking counseling as my first step... other details differ but so it usually goes.

It's quite alright to be unsure where to start. I think that's generally true, but I think having something to work toward, keep a commitment to is the best. Sounds like you're doing that. Coming here can be a great thing too. It helped me a lot having sort of the 24 hour support.

"One day at a time" is not such a cliche. Another way to say it is, especially in the beginning, "just work with what's in front of you." You don't need a lifetime plan or a perfect understanding of how/why/in what way you've got a drinking problem. Just learning to get by the difficult moments eventually builds up.

Take care and glad you're here.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

It sounds like you're doing pretty well!

I, too, lost interest in eating when I was drinking a lot. The first sip of alcohol seemed like a complete appetite supressant to me. I didn't realize till I began to recover, that I was hypoglecmic and so craved the sugar in alcohol. So, I had to regain some weight in recovery too.

You will find lots of support here, so keep posting and reading.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Orkney! (It might be a little slow here today, as usual on a weekend.) We are happy to have you part of the family.

Sorry for all you've been through with your relationship - that can take a terrible toll on us. Regret and sadness led me down the same path as you - until I was drinking round the clock in the end. I commend you for having the will to lay it down and have a new life, without your anesthesia. It is like coming out of a fog, and can be a bit scary at times. I was rather self-pitying in the beginning, but you seem to have a great attitude.

Let us know how you're feeling and keep talking to us.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 12-26-2010, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome!
Old 12-26-2010, 01:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Orkney - congratulations on day 12 - that's a real accomplishment! I remember dropping things too in that first week or two, as well as insomnia, big appetite, brain fog (memory glitches), and a bit of a hand tremor. Hang in there - it will get better.

Make use of all the support you can get and like Isaiah said, take it a day at a time. Reading and posting here has been a lifesaver for me. :ghug3
Old 12-26-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Orkney

Everything you're going through sounds pretty much par for the course to me, but son;t hesitate to see your Dr again if you feel concerned in any way

Welcome to SR - you'll find a lot of support here
D
Old 12-26-2010, 07:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good to have you with us Orkney..That is the best part of SR..someone usually on 24 hrs per day. It is a nice security blanket!!
Old 12-26-2010, 09:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 12 days! Hang in there, things will get better.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome Orkney! Congrats on the sober time. For a lot of people it does get better fairly quickly. Glad you are so determined. Good luck and keep us posted.