Old 12-22-2010, 11:42 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Happy to report that I am doing just great out here. No drugs, no alcohol. The rig crew I work with is pretty mellow, mostly they just go home after work and go to sleep. The night crew is really fun, they're mostly my age and good guys. The day crew are mostly older, they're all really nice but I think I'm kind of a novelty item to them. The crew guys tend to have an overblown sense of chivalry when I have to go up on the rig, but it makes my job a little easier so no complaints (of course I know how to use a ratchet to disassemble the equipment for my job, but if the rig hands want to take off thier gloves in the 15-degree weather and get their hands wet and muddy... well, be my guest). I have another week or so on this rig before they finish then it's off to god-knows-where. My supervisor told me where I'm going but he's changed his mind about 3 times, so I'll just wait and see. The guy training me is a pretty big drinker, to the point he told me he's really struggling to get a handle on it. But he never has it at work and never smells like alcohol. In other words, he's about as good at covering it up as I was.

So far so good. I may or may not be on again in the next few days so merry Christmas or happy secular winter celebration or have a good whatever-it-is-you-do.