View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 04:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ResilientFather

Unhappy New to the site, need to vent.

Hello everyone. I've been reading other threads and realizing how much I can relate. It helps to know I'm not the only one. I have an alcoholic wife that I have been enabling for far too long. Accidents, legal trouble, getting violent with me, I've been covering up/making better all of the bad situations she finds herself in and it just made things worse. I just recently reached my braking point when she attacked me in front of our daughter, all because I tried to take away her alcohol. Our daughter has been expressing more and more that she feels unsafe when her mommy drinks the "funny beer". It breaks my heart to think of her seeing this behavior.

Unfortunately most of the people that could help me, don't believe me because I spent so much effort covering it up and backing her in the past. I got the police involved when she attacked me most recently, she doesn't even remember being violent. That was the first time in a long time that I realized I didn't need to put up with it. Our daughter is more important than anything else in my world so I decided to take action against her. My hope is that without me there to enable things, she won't be able to hold it together for the others that didn't believe me. Who knows though, she was incredibly pissed/betrayed when she found out she wasn't allowed back home for at least a week.

Anger has a funny way of motivating her, my fear is that she will be sober long enough to put on a show for those who matter and in the end I'll look like a fool for being too "extreme" and overreacting. The hardest part is not feeling like a monster for getting her out of the house temporarily, it's Christmas soon and she wont get to see our daughter. I guess I rationalize it this way, I love her enough to lose my marriage if it means she gets sober for our daughter. This really sucks!