Thread: New Here
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 07:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
oakleaf82

New Here

Hello all. My story is that I'm not really sure if I have a "problem", but I am definitely interested in living a sober life. I'm sure just the fact that I am on this forum is very telling. I've never had any legal trouble or job trouble related to drinking; I'm just tired of the lifestyle. It's not productive (duh) And I have had several regrets after drinking. Like the days where I spend the entire next day so hungover it interferes with my plans. I live in Wisconsin, where drinking is soooo built into the culture; it is really hard not to! My husband and I have close friends who are bartenders and friends who work at breweries, making abstaining difficult. Thing is, a lot of our friends (I think) have MAJOR alcohol problems, like a thousand times worse than me. But to them, drinking a lot and dealing with hangovers is completely normal and just a way of life. DUIs are commonplace among people around here, it's really sad. Anyway I'm digressing and I know I shouldn't be worrying about other people, BUT I've been thinking about it a lot lately, and just asking myself "what the hell are we doing?" There are plenty of days I don't drink at all. Lots of times I'll have one or two and thats it. Occasionally, I just won't be able to stop even though I KNOW I'm getting too drunk. Then I wake up hating life.

My husband drinks as well. We have had discussions in the past about giving up drinking, but nothing ever seems to stick. I'd like to give it another try though.

I'm on day three.

Thanks for listening.