View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 02:35 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Thumper

I did too Keepinon. I may have even done a few extra for good measure.

I tried to undo some of them. I logistically found it very impractical to not enable to some extent and continue to not only live together but be legally married and attempt to parent together. I could not figure out how to detach and be married at the same. I ignored, looked the other way, and detached from him emotionally but my resentment and anger were reaching epic proportions so it was not real detachment. I can feel detachment now. Even looking back I don't know how I could have done it within the marriage. I did not come to al-anon or SR until I had hit my bottom though. Perhaps I would have been more successful had I found that personal recovery before things had gotten so far. Maybe it would have been possible if he had some sober time but he was an every day drinker.

And no, there are no guarantee's. I think a person begins to set boundaries and quit enabling to save themselves - not their A. It isn't a punishment, or a tactic, geared at the alcoholic. It is a way to bring peace, sanity, emotional safety, and security into our own lives.

PS: I do think you personally know that - I'm probably just triggered a little bit because my xah has not found recovery and I do still pray that he will. Not for 'us', but for himself and for the kids.