View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 10:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
JenT1968

welcome!

as others have said it appears not, many of us have tried repeatedly LOL, before accepting defeat.

I know you are desperate, becasue I was desperate and I recognise myself in your post, trying to think of solutions to a crazy situations. but really, how would it play out even if you could force her to stop drinking; her resenting you for controlling her and taking away her choices, eventually hating you? you exhausted with the effort of it, with the worry? would she find sneaky ways of drinking anyway? It is unlikely you'd be able to police her every moment without becoming her jailor and how would you feel about yourself in this situation? not a relationship I'd want.

I wanted him to stop drinking, man up, stop the erratic and abusive behaviour, become reliable, take responsibility etc etc AND be happy about it. Tall order.

that doesn't mean you have to continue as things are, and if you are ready to share with her that unless she choses to become sober you won't continue with the relationship, and are fully prepared to carry through with that, then there is no reason to delay. If some thinking time for yourself is in order so thst you can be fully prepared for any action, then getting yourself some support, al anon or a therapist are good options. A priority would probably be to organise alternative childcare and start shoring up, and if possible seperating your finances, so that no matter what the outcome you are prepared.