Thread: Doubt
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 10:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
onlythetruth
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
No, I've learned that addiction is idiosyncratic. Although a good many addict share a lot of commonalities, there is however just as many traits that are unique to the individual regarding addiction. Here's where to "know thy self" is key, and those that do the necessary self-exploratory work realize there is in fact some significant differences between those that have an addiction.

IMO, just as there are many paths to recovery, there are just as many individual needs in recovery. Going beyond the general recovery speak, that as a whole holds one to be overtly cautious. There are individual strengths one can have that otherwise would be overlooked in recovery speak or not present in others. A general rule of thumb in emphasized just to keep things on the safe side.

And that's the problem with cookie cutter ( had to get the cookie thing in) recovery modalities. The individual often gets overlooked so that the whole cookie program maintains its integrity. With group speak and universal truths. Remember many in recovery deal with a closed system of recovery truths where uniqueness is frowned down upon. And unique strengths are not explored.
I could not agree more! Recovery is such an individual thing. There are no hard and fast rules for any of it and one of the biggest problems with "one size fits all" recovery modalities is that when someone doesn't fit the mold, they start worrying that they are doing something wrong and setting themselves up for failure.

That's why I think it's so important that we share our personal experiences honestly, so others can truly get a view of the wide variety of experiences people actually have.

The first holiday season I went through after I quit drinking is a good example of this. I was a few months along then and felt much like you do--that it was too easy--until some very wise person said "life is hard enough without complaining when things are GOOD! Besides...you never know what tomorrow will bring."

And indeed, the hardest point in my early sobriety was actually at the end of my first year...and the hardest point in my life since I got sober was when I had about 5 years (but by then, it didn't even cross my mind to drink).

So...be kind to yourself and rejoice when times are good. :day6

OTT