Old 12-09-2010, 01:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
skippernlilg
Skipper

I appreciate this post, though I'm not personally involved in an abusive relationship.

There was one thing you posted on here that stood out to me, and I wanted to share a recent experience. Maybe it will help you with your perspective.

You wondered why his doctors hadn't noticed and/or addressed his mental/emotional issues, i.e. obvious angry behavior.

Well, they might have. If you're not in there with him, you really don't know what the doctors have said or suggested. I had to take my morbidly obese neighbor for a doc check up last week. My neighbor has an addiction to food. The doctor flat-out told my neighbor that if he did not lose 30% of his weight he would DIE. The doctor told him he could not do a kidney stone procedure because he was 125 pounds over the 300 pound threshhold allowed for that procedure. The doctor suggested lap-band procedure first since my neighbor has so many other life-threatening medical conditions related to his obesity. The doctor also told him that he could continue a healthy lifestyle with exercise in, perhaps, a pool program.

I was there when the doctor said these things to my neighbor, who is now becoming unable to drive himself anywhere or do much for himself because of his poor health.

When my neighbor got home, he told friends, family, and other neighbors, that the doctor suggested a pool program.

Huh?!!

See? What I'm saying is that the addicted will hear what they want and do what they want, and the doctor cannot do anything about it until the patient is ready.

I hope that helps.