View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 03:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
glitter

Another option?

The morning after I received the phone call from my manager that I was not to return to work while they decided what to do, I went to my personal physician who knew some about my problem already...that day she found out everything! My doctor wrote me out from work for a month - she knew I was finally going to get the help I needed - I now had NO choice. I took the note to HR and was granted a medical leave of absence (mloa) by my employer.

During that month I was able to find a treatment center and get started. The physician at the treatment center extended my mloa and I was able to start collecting state disability (some states don't have this - it's something I pay for in payroll taxes). I'm still on disability (it's been just over 5 months). Didn't lose my job nor my health insurance until 3 months after my leave started (had to cash in some retirement and now paying cobra - ugh!) . By federal law, the employer is requried to grant 12 weeks medical loa if a physician says there is a medical medical condition that warrants it.

So if you have a doctor you can work with, that may be a start.

FYI - my story is a bit different in that I diverted meds (why I lost my job), but the reporting to the BON is the same. It doesn't matter what substance it is.