Old 12-01-2010, 05:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Eight Ball

Hi Boskerbear

When I initially started reading your thread the 'X' part jumped straight out at me but it didn't make sense that you were still so caught up in his life.

Reading between the lines I think that what I have picked up is that you love him and are actually waiting for him to hit his 'rock bottom' in the hope that he wakes up, gets help, sees the light and will be the BF that you love when he is sober. Whilst 'others' continue to assist him it makes the likelihood of this even further away and that is what you are finding frustrating.

It can be really infuriating but unfortunately your concern is really only that - YOUR concern and all that does is continue to eat away at you. (it leaves me feeling sick and stressed) The key Al-anon step is to admit that you are powerless over alcohol - the First step and sometimes the most difficult. I know that I have thought that I have mastered this step in the past, only to find me trying to control or force an outcome that I want. It doesn't work, I just end up letting myself down - I truly am powerless.

If you think about it this way, maybe him reaching his rock bottom needs to include you moving on with your life, putting yourself and your needs first, show him that you are not waiting around for him to stop drinking and IF he ever gets sober and wants to be with you again, he may be too late. This actually makes you more powerful and in doing so, you may actually be able to step away from his dramas, put the focus on you and will definitely get better at the no contact thing.

I may have you completely wrong and if I have - just take what you like and leave the rest.