Thread: New Leaf?
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 11:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LostInDreams

New Leaf?

Hello everyone,

I am new to the site and to sober living as well. I thought I would give this a try because it has been difficult for me to find people that understand what I am going through.

I am only 20 years old so I did not initially believe I had a problem with alcohol. All of my friends drink and I am constantly surrounded by alcohol and the temptation to indulge and that seemed normal to me.

I have been drinking since I was about 14 but within the last year and half I have noticed that my drinking has become a problem.

I am tired of waking up with the feeling of regret for my actions the night before. I am constantly telling myself I will not drink but always find myself at the bar with friends and consuming alcohol. I have tried to tell myself that I will not drink "that much" or that I will only drink beer to avoid getting too drunk, but instead I find myself blacking out my entire night.

Over the past year and a half my blackouts have gotten severe. I don't remember being at places, talking to people, or the things that I do. I have had to apologize to people for events that I don't remember.

I finally hit rock bottom about 2 months ago when I blacked out and drove home from the bar. I smashed into a tree, totaling my car and getting an aggravated DWI. I thought this would be enough to stop me but I still found myself going out, blacking out, and waking up with that sick feeling of regret.

A big problem for me is that I do not have any friends that are sober or understand my desire to get sober. I was hoping by joining this site I could find some people to support a new and better life for me.

Wishing everyone well.