View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 04:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Phoenixthebird
Rising from the Ashes

Your story reminds me of an incident that occurred here in San Antonio on May 19,2010.

The moment a bus driver nearly runs over a baby sitting in the middle of a major road

It was just after midnight when Mike Hubbard, on his usual bus route, noticed a mysterious shape wriggling on the road up ahead.

At first he thought the ghostly figure might be a dog, but as he approached, the San Antonio driver realised it was a baby wearing just a diaper.

After slamming on the brakes, Mr Hubbard immediately jumped out of his seat to investigate.

"'To me he looked like he was eight months old with a pamper, just sitting there. I couldn't tell if he was eating something or not. But, his eyes got real big when he saw the big old bus in front of him," Mr Hubbard said.

Then strangely, as the driver checked to see if the baby was alright, the child's father suddenly emerged, scooped up the infant and ran off.

The horrifying moment was captured by a camera on the dashboard of the bus.

Although the incident happened last May, video footage of the moment has only just emerged for use as evidence in a current child custody case.

The lucky baby is in fact a girl, identified as Destiny Flores, now aged two.

The local bus company VIA, which services San Antonio - the second largest city in the U.S. south central state of Texas - reported the incident to child protective services.

Destiny Flores' mother, Catherine Gonzalez, 25, and her husband are now fighting to retain custody of all three daughters.

The couple said they were in the living room when they heard a horn and the loud screeching sound of the bus braking suddenly.

Mrs Gonzalez insisted that they had no idea Destiny had escaped from the house.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

if you were the CPS (child protective services) caseworker, where would you start if you were given this case to investigate?

One can only hope with her parenting classes and some supervised visits they can get this family back together and past this.

Today Show Video Player