Old 11-23-2010, 12:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
viavai

Matt,

Yes, seizures are VERY serious: You could die. It's smart of you to stop this insanity cold in its tracks now (before it's too late). You will get loads of support here (so keep reading and posting), but I think you would benefit from some face-to-face contact with a group such as Alcoholics Anonymous or SMART Recovery (which you can Google, if you don't know what that is). A lot of people are reluctant to go to AA; I know I was. But I was also desperate, and I was willing to go to any lengths to stay sober. At first I didn't care for the meetings, but I gave them a fair chance (i.e., I went to more than 2 or 3), and something clicked for me. I knew I belonged there.

Yes, going out with friends is going to be tough, and you may decide that for the time being you can't go out at all. Err on the side of caution, and stay away from pubs or any place where drinking is going to be the central focus. You are still too vulnerable at this stage to tempt fate. There's always a way to gracefully decline an invitation if you don't feel like divulging what's really going on right now; honestly, people don't really care, as they are more wrapped up in their own lives.

Welcome to a new way of life. I guarantee it has many gifts to offer, and you don't want to miss out on the next two-thirds of your life!

Take care of yourself this holiday weekend, and remember to keep it in the day (just for today), and let tomorrow take care of itself when it comes.