Old 11-19-2010, 07:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Toronto68

Mercurial, that post gave me a scared feeling. The itchiness, among other things. The doctor saying not to bother with tests until after the holidays is sort of laissez faire, even offensive. On the other hand, what is he supposed to do, tie you to a chair? Imprison you to save your life?

This brings me back to the times I would wonder how much longer I had to live and reminds me how lucky I have felt to have been able to quit. I used to feel itchy too and I don't notice it anymore.

The reality is I don't really know what will happen to me tomorrow, I could actually have all kinds of medical problems I didn't know were there, or I could get hit by a streetcar (it happens). But when I did go through with quitting and didn't know whether it was too late or if I would have a heart attack or stroke or some other thing I wasn't educated on during the homemade detox, I told myself I would be happy if I only got a small period of time afterward to be alive and not drinking (if it really was too late). I've been capable since then of preferring what I have got now. I wonder if you can get to that point too.

I know Xmas has a great rating and everything, but who cares? Is it THAT great? Do you have to be around all the drinking, is it not worth missing out on that routine in order to accommodate a quitting plan? Is it possible to picture a few Xmases with 3 or 4 people on tea and nothing with alcohol in it to drink and see that as desirable - and see that the other elements to Xmas that include insincerity and drinking are just not worth it?

Just some ideas, no idea if any of it appeals to you.