View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kindeyes

Originally Posted by cece1960 View Post
Thats me too KE. I have to admit I'm a veteran in experiencing the anxiety of my AS coming home from rehab, since he's done it on so many occassions.

I now assume that there's a good chance he will not do things as I think they need done. I've accepted this, which provides comfort in a way ( I know thats distorted, but what about this isn't?)

I've also accepted that his life is his life. No matter how much I love him, I have no more business telling him how to live it than he has business telliong me how to live mine.

We are now both adults, and it was well past time I started treating him as one, because if nothing else he deserves that, even if it means that our relationship isn't as comfy for him as it used to be.

As I often say, "Welcome to adulthood, it can really stink sometimes"
Cece
Thank you.....I look to all of the veterans here on SR for their support and the sharing of their experiences. It means a lot to me and I often find the words of the good people here on SR running through my head in tough times.

I understand EXACTLY what you mean by assuming that there's a good chance my son is not going to do it the way "I would". But I'm leaving his choices to him and his HP. I am trusting my HP for once......He will help me with my words, help me with my actions, help me express and hold my boundaries and guide me through this process.

Is it normal to feel anxiety when giving it up to your HP? I need to trust him and feel serene in the knowledge that my life (and my son's life) is in his hands, right?

Picture me standing here....looking all around me like I've lost a contact lense......but I'm looking for my serenity......I know it's here somewhere.

gentle hugs