Thread: Need Help
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 12:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
nodaybut2day

Originally Posted by lady2424 View Post
but what if I do decide to leave and that sets him off and he starts drinking and drugging again?
You do not have to carry this burden. I know that it's common for alcoholics to pin their recovery or their drunkeness on their partner, but you do not have to accept this responsibility. He's going to get drunk if you leave him, if work is hard one day, if it rains, if it doesn't...there's always a reason. You simply do not control or are not the cause of his addiction. Staying with him to prevent further drunkeness isn't a life you want to live...

Originally Posted by lady2424 View Post
Im scared because I know inside he has the potential to be such a wonderful person and he is I just wish he would realize that and want to get help.
Ah yes, their potential. A lot of people, myself included, stay with someone because of "what they COULD be". There's an awesome post in the Classic Reading stickies about that.

About their potential

Do you love and accept your BF, as he is TODAY, wholly and completely? Because that is the only person he's willing to be right now.

I hope you keep coming back and posting all you want!