View Single Post
Old 11-13-2010, 06:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SarahG

Keeping the secret

You know the one - growing up in an alcoholic family. "Don't Tell Anyone About What Goes On At Home." I've finally gotten to a place, in the past few years, in which I am able to say to people that I was raised by two alcoholics. It's not something that comes up in everyday conversation, but sometimes, when people ask about your family of origin, or questions about your childhood, it's relevant and appropriate to admit it. In my case, I refuse to carry the shame of it - it wasn't my fault, and I won't be responsible for The Secret anymore.

But how do you know when enough information is enough? For example, I have a friend who has known me since grade school. She was my best friend for YEARS. She never knew, until about 3 years ago (we're both in our late 30's) that my parents were/are alcoholics. I mentioned it once when she asked why they never babysit my children. She now has this impression that my parents just are a bit overindulgent, that as seniors they like to party and get a bit tipsy. She has no idea that they are abusive, controlling, manipulative, mentally ill people. I feel completely dismissed - that she doesn't GET how their behavior impacted everything about my life. Do I speak up? Is that a need for me to be seen as a martyr, or is it being honest? We're not terribly close any more, but we do talk frequently.