Old 07-19-2004, 04:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Don S

....this girl has three children?! Oh....my.....god.....

Well, much as I'd love it if you or someone could save them from a life of watching their mother abuse drugs and behave inappropriately, that isn't your priority right now.

I sent out resume's this week, I'm trying to get a job, I don't want to be involved with that.
Yes!

I didn't like the feel of the situation and it was right then I realized that no matter how hard I try to just 'hang out' with Christina...it's all about the next high for her.

That about sums it up, and sad as it may be to see the hole she's digging for herself and her family, there's not much you can do about it. Congratulations on recognizing an unhealthy situation and taking a stand. Really. That is hard to do, and it's what was necessary.

Sobriety really isn't the hard part. It's sad when you have to step back from a friendship that goes back to your childhood, but you're growing up. I'm afraid she isn't. That's the hard part.

Sometimes people who are desperately hanging onto substance abuse try to drag us down with them. Your refusal to participate can be a threat to them. In the long run, you're doing her--and her children--a huge favor by refusing to participate in or condone the behavior. Not to mention it's the best thing to do for yourself as well.

You did the right thing, which isn't always easy.
Don S