View Single Post
Old 07-18-2004, 03:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by Nightowl
And now when I think of the things that happened when I was with my A SO......I just can't believe I stuck around so long. What was I thinking?? I'm scared this will happen again. I'm scared my kids are ruined and screwed up for life. Argh! I can't shake this feeling of shame and guilt.
Argh! I can't shake this feeling of shame and guilt.
It doesn't amaze me anymore how similar the after effects of addiction are for both sides involved. Aside from all the obvious wounds and scars left behind, the loss of a sense of values, even self esteem, is perhaps the most noxious of them all. For so much energy has to go into fighting these feelings that range from mild shame to complete and utter worthlessness.
I'm scared this will happen again.
In some ways, as an addict, so am I. I'm but one drink away or one hit away from renewing my relationship with my old friend, obsession/compulsion. But the real fear, that would prrobably paralyze me if I didn't have a recovery program, is that of missing the signs and ignoring the behaviors that lead to relapse.
I'm scared my kids are ruined and screwed up for life.
Most likely not. Our children, once included fully in the recovery process, in age appropriate ways, become one of our greatest sources of support, addict and codie alike, I believe. And I also believe that as recovering parents, it is our duty to let them know how much we need them, in our attempt to restore sanity to ourselves and our families.
Hang in there Nightowl.