View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 10:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hunny1116

Freedom, from one mom to another I add my "thank you" for your sharing.

Recovery is not simply giving up drugs. Recovery means accepting responsibility for their actions. It means finding themselves again – they have literally been lost – and building new identities and friendships that don’t involve a druggie lifestyle.

Although my AS wanted to live with us, I chose to take him to the homeless shelter when he had nowhere else to go. It was one of the most difficult things I have ever done. My heart literally felt like it was bleeding inside my body as I drove away.

I agree that you should look into a sober living facility or half or three-quarter house. Most have meetings right there or transportation to meetings. Also, when my son was in recovery, many AA members offered to give him a ride to and from meetings. All he had to do was call.

It is so hard as parents to know what is the "right" thing to do. You are getting feedback from those who have been there and that is always a good decision. I wish I would have done it prior to my last enabling stint!

I wish I could say there is a happy ending to the story, but truth is I have not heard from him in several weeks. But, believe it or not (I didn't before) life goes on. I miss him and pray for him, but I know I can't do it for him.

with love,