View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 12:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

Hope, I don't run a flophouse anymore. My 32-year old did the same thing when I took her in for a month 7 years ago. She's no longer welcome in my home.

I'd like to bring up a couple of my own experiences as a recovering addict, and not as the mother of an addict.

When I went through rehab in 1986, my parents cared for my then only daughter, and thankfully got my car to their place before my psychotic EXAH blew that car up on one of his drug runs like he had my last car.

I ended up moving to the little town where I went through rehab to start life over.

I hit the pavement the day after rehab to start looking for jobs. My parents refused to bring the car to me, and rightfully so. Dad had paid for it, and they had NO reason to start trusting me on anything yet. They didn't even bring my daughter to me for another month.

I landed a job at the nursing home on the far side of town, and I walked to and from work every single day for a month. I was a CNA, and it was often back-breaking work. It did not kill me to have to walk.

Fast forward to 2003, and my then 15 year old daughter ran away with a 24 year old she had been seeing behind me back, and SRS stepped in.

She spent 60 days in a juvenile lockdown facility that was a 360 mile round trip for me to visit her.

Then she was placed in a foster home for high risk teenage girls, which was a 240 mile round trip for me, and was there for a year.

I had a beater 85 Mercury that was already on its last leg. The valves went out on me Christmas Eve 120 miles away from home when I was invited to dinner with the foster family.

I had no money for another vehicle. I was struggling at a minimum wage job where they never gave me more than 25 hours a week.

Seven months I was out of transportation. I walked everywhere. I walked to work. I walked to meetings. I walked to the grocery store. If I needed a big bag of dog food, I got out the old baby stroller, and that's how I got it home.

This was from late December through July of the following year. I walked in a foot of snow. I walked when temperatures were well below freezing. I walked when it was hotter than blazes and humid to boot. I walked in rain.

I was 45 years old when I was walking everywhere that 7 month period.

I had responsibilities to take care of, including getting my butt to meetings.

There is no reason your AD should be sleeping half the day, sitting around being 'bored.'

She's doing it because it's allowed in your home.

Nothing changes if nothing changes.