View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 09:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sunshine2
The sun still shines

Being in touch with your emotions really is healthy. The alternative is survival mode where we cannot feel anything anymore.

Anger and me walked a long and ugly path together.

I have to agree with everyone that said not to suppress it. Suppressing it is what we instinctively do and it just festers and wait to rise to the surface with much more intensity, often at inappropriate times.

What works for me is to find a quiet place and sit with my anger. I don't mean sitting thinking about it, rather to feel it where it physically manifests. For me it is a very uncomfortable contraction in my chest. If I allow myself to feel it without barriers and thought, it eventually goes away. I remember one day I must have sat for more than an hour with this intense feeling of anger. I didn't even know why. At times it was so bad that I thought my body couldn't physically tolerate it for much longer, but I just sat there. Eventually it stopped.

The amazing thing is that doing this really has taken care of the anger outbursts I used to have. The type where months of suppression came out in one foul swoop and scared even me. I still get angry, but it is for normal reasons, goes away quickly and doesn't fester.

I think if I fell back into the trap of suppressing my anger, over time the expolsions may come back.