Old 10-28-2010, 10:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Itchy
Re-Member

My wife still drinks and still smokes. Of course she doesn't drink like I did. When she heard I was quitting both she offered to smoke outside and I said that she didn't have to, but she wanted both of us to smoke outside before anyway. She does have her two drinks after work in front of me and there is a bottle of scotch in the house.

It is possible to separate out who owns what issues and have peace. If I have a relapse it won't be her fault, that would be my issue. I can understand your feelings especially now at this early stage in your sobriety, because feelings can be amplified and confusing. He shouldn't promise what he doesn't plan to deliver, and that can hurt.

Since you say he hardly drinks perhaps it might be constructive for him to consider becoming involved in ALANON? He is the spouse and family of an alcoholic right? They need some support too. Just remember he isn't perfect any more than we are. I can't count the times I told my wife that I needed to quit drinking and was going to, and broke those promises to myself and her. Thank goodness she forgave me my goofs, as it all is working out in the end. The important thing is your sobriety. Take a few deep breaths and cut yourself a sprout too.