Old 10-28-2010, 03:57 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Onewithwings

I am a DXM addict, my drug is found mostly in liquid (yuck) or pill form (though you can snort or shoot pure forms of it, but those are hard to find/pain in the ass to create). I never was a street drug use (well, except for pot) all my drugs were prescription or over the counter, but I did shoot up once (easy to get a needle, I just jacked one of my husband's needles from his MS medication). After that, I definitely felt the urge to shoot more often, and thought about other drugs a lot. So I would take 20 to 40 pills a day, sometimes more. I am also on psych medication for legitimate purposes. I also sometimes take over the counter meds such as benadryl or motrin or old prescriptions like the ton of neurontin they gave me-- not to get high, just for the sake of popping pills. Even vitamins and stuff I would keep taking more and more, just to take them.

Now I can not pop a pill, even a tylenol, without consulting my husband. I let him know what and how much I am taking. This has really helped me make it back to 33 days (although I was in the psych ward for an overdose for my first 11 days clean).

Do you have someone that could help watch over you? If you feel like you must inject, can you try injecting water or saline? It's not a perfect solution, but if that's what you need to stay clean for the next minute/hour/day, I would rather see that than an actual relapse.

It's funny I found your thread, because I recently lost a sponsor, who told me to get a new sponsor because I relapsed too much, and felt that she couldn't help me anymore, due to the fact that she did street drugs and I did pharmaceuticals. She also thought that since I was on psych meds and she wasn't, that I needed a sponsor who knows about these things!

So, I got a new sponsor. This one did street drugs too, but it is really hard to find someone who did mainly pharmaceuticals. This sponsor, however, is Bipolar, which means she can understand my need to be drugged (er, medicated) during the day, and is happy for the fact that I am no longer taking any habit-forming meds. Now I just have to deal with taking what I need and leaving what I don't need.

Good luck out there, TBW!