Old 10-27-2010, 11:23 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
TheBattleWithin

Needle Addiction: behind the scenes

My addiction to the needle and the ritual is the main thing keeping me from cumulating clean time. Every relapse iv had in the past two months has begun with imagining my blood shooting back into the rig giving me a green light to temporarily turn off my thoughts and emotions. However i can explain this annoying temptation. Addiction occurs within the instinctual, or survival area of our brain. this part of our brain basicly tells us to do wat makes us feel good at all cost. For example a tiger in the jungle experiences euphoria as a phsycological reward when it catches an antelope, Just as a student will feel pleaseure when he or she Aces a midterm, obtaining the goal they studied for.
Addicting drugs short circut this reward system in ur brain causing a release of euphoric pleasure. naturaly your brain is going to learn the most effective and pleasurable way of achieving this reward. Putting it simply; by showing your brain the most intense and effictiant way of getting the pleasure ("Using The Needle") it connects the the needle and the hi so you are teaching your brain what it needs to do for the best feeling. Completely unaware that you have given your brain the latest and greatest survival instinct. When you want to quit drugs thats great cuz we all know that u chose if u dont want drugs anymore. However nobody can chose that they dont want sleep or food or shelter anymore, and for the past fifteen years when your brain tells you to stick a needle in ur arm you do it without hesitation rewarding it just like when it tells u to eat.
The difference is that eating is an actual survival instinct that u have from birth but the ritual of shooting up is developed as an instinct in the same part of ur brain which cannot weigh the posotive and negative effects.
I hope a better understanding of why the addiction seems to be stronger for the ritual than for the drug itself can help you find a way to reteach ur brain and if so plz share becuz i will try anything.

THANK YOU