View Single Post
Old 07-17-2004, 05:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
KelKel

Hi Honey Girl...
The sweatlodge is many things...it depends a lot on the person who is leading the sweat and which tribe they follow.
I have learned mostly from my friend Servondo's lodge, he is commanche but follows the ways of Orvil Looking Horse and the Lakota People of South Dakota and the green grass reservation.
I have also sweated with numerous other's who have their own way's, such as a friend who has a Bear Lodge that is very powerful and very, very hot.
I get emotional just thinking about my experiences within the lodge.
When my heart is in the wrong place, I suffer greatly in the lodge and find myself digging deep in to the mother earth for some comfort from her cool, dampness. I feel I will die, but come out reborn.
-Nomaste'

I found this little excerpt and it is pretty good....

"The Sweat Lodge is probably the most recognised of all Native American Ceremonies. While there are as many ways to conduct this ceremony as there are sweatlodge leaders, there are many elements that are consistent with all Sweat Lodges. The lodge itself is built from willow saplings or some other supple wood frame. This frame is in the from of a half-dome and covered with blankets and tarps. When completely covered, it can be very dark inside, even in the daylight. Adjacent to the lodge is a fire pit used to heat up rocks. These rocks are usually volcanic and are called "Stone People," they represent our oldest living relatives. When the stones are good and hot, they are brought into the lodge where the participants have gathered. Water is poured onto the Stones creating steam. The Sweat Leader holds the sacred space and helps the participants with prayer and songs. In most of the Seven Circles lodges, the ceremony within the lodge is somewhat akin to a "talking circle." Participants are invited to speak from their hearts about their life and their community concerns. This is a ceremony of purification and prayer. In the heat and the darkness of the lodge, we can come closer to ourselves, closer to Creator, and closer to understanding each other."