View Single Post
Old 10-24-2010, 12:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
lkc2010

NYJ - Welcome to SR. Keep up the great work. Two days is really awesome!

I was in a similar spot as you (and sort of still am). I wasn't totally sure how to get help. Or involved in AA. I knew I needed it (badly) but didn't know where to start. Do you?

If its at all helpful to you this is what I did:

I called AA and talked to a few people for a few weeks. SUPER HELPFUL. Tons of great people that listened and were encouraging.

Then I got up the nerve to go to a meeting. I was nervous but I knew I needed A LOT of help. It wasn't painful at all - it was a total relief. They set me up with free copies of the Big Book and 12 and 12 (you can find them free online too and audio versions). People swear by these books. Get them. They also gave me a booklet with all the meetings in the city. You'll be very surprised to see how many are in NYC and Brooklyn.

I met people. I went to a few meetings but I still slipped and drank. So after one of the meetings, I listened to what they were saying. 'Get a sponsor'. SO, when they announced sponsors I walked right up to her and introduced myself. Its been very very helpful and is what is keeping me sober. Attending a meeting everyday (on her recommendation) is helping immensely too. I'm feeling a hell of a lot better. Still a bit raw but better.

Anyway this is what is helping me. Hope it helps you.

Just get help. AA has been really cool, actually. Lots of like minded people no different than yourself. You'll be surprised.

It aint easy.

I've got a week under my belt (had 2 prior and 2 prior to that).

Just take it one day at a time.

I'd encourage you to call your local AA chapter in NYC and talk to someone. Don't be afraid to do it -- they're extremely helpful.