Old 10-20-2010, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
tacks

Is it possible someone to become an [B]alcholic[/B]?

First off, i have come to the conclusion that i now can NOT manage alcohol and therefore can not go back to drinking. I'm not now looking for an excuse to drink. I simply can not do so without dire consequences.

Having said that there once was a time when i did control my drinking. I was, at one time in my life, a 'moderate drinker.' In my twenties and early thirties i did a lot of self help and therapy. A therapist who was very influential instructed me only to drink on occcaision and to not drink at all when something was troubling me. I was able, for the most part, to stick with this. I could moderate my drinking without AA (Again, i am not trying to convince myself that i can drink now. I can not. Not worth trying.)

Anyhow things got bad with careers and other life issues and i fell to alcoholism. (I'm sure situational depression plays a large part in this.)

So i, more or less, was not an alcoholic and then became one? Stating such seems to go against AA's definition of what an alcoholic is. But it seems, to me, somewhat accurate. I'm just trying to understand myself a bit better and how i fit in to this recovery thing.