Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Is it possible someone to become an [B]alcholic[/B]?

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First off, i have come to the conclusion that i now can NOT manage alcohol and therefore can not go back to drinking. I'm not now looking for an excuse to drink. I simply can not do so without dire consequences.

Having said that there once was a time when i did control my drinking. I was, at one time in my life, a 'moderate drinker.' In my twenties and early thirties i did a lot of self help and therapy. A therapist who was very influential instructed me only to drink on occcaision and to not drink at all when something was troubling me. I was able, for the most part, to stick with this. I could moderate my drinking without AA (Again, i am not trying to convince myself that i can drink now. I can not. Not worth trying.)

Anyhow things got bad with careers and other life issues and i fell to alcoholism. (I'm sure situational depression plays a large part in this.)

So i, more or less, was not an alcoholic and then became one? Stating such seems to go against AA's definition of what an alcoholic is. But it seems, to me, somewhat accurate. I'm just trying to understand myself a bit better and how i fit in to this recovery thing.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Does it matter in the grand scheme of things? If you can no longer successfully drink, then start living in the solution. I'm not sure what you mean by AA's definition of an alcoholic.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

It sounds to me like you have always had a problem with alcohol. What you're describing with your earlier scenario sounds very familiar. The kids of control games that normal drinkers just don't need to play.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Personally, I think every human being has the capacity to become an alcoholic...it's just a heck of a lot easier for some people then others. For me, this explains why one person can be an alcoholic after a week of drinking and another person takes 40 years f drinking before they get to the point where it's alcoholism. But I am sure most people will disagree with me;-D
Old 10-20-2010, 12:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As I understand it, anyone who drinks enough for long enough will develop a physical dependency on alcohol.

Most people who regularly drink will develop a drinking 'habit' that creates at least some level of mental dependency.

Are these factors enough to create a 'true alcoholic'? I'm not sure.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"But what about the real alcoholic? He may start off as a moderate drinker; he may or may not become a continuous hard drinker; but at some stage of his drinking career he begins to lose control of his liquor consumption, once he starts to drink"

BB, Page 21...1st. Edition

Last edited by CarolD; 10-20-2010 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Added Source per SR guideline
Old 10-20-2010, 12:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I despise the concept of the "Real Alcoholic"...just sayin...:-)
Old 10-20-2010, 12:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

me too actually
Old 10-20-2010, 01:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

good thing AA's not a popularity contest.

and Tacks... I had MANY years of successful drinking, many years where I could take it or leave it, many years where there probably wasn't any sort of alcohol problem.

but......somewhere along the way......I crossed that invisible line to where I couldn't stop. period. could NOT stop no matter what I tried.

You can either stop on a non-spiritual basis or you can't. If you can, you're not an alcoholic - get some support, get some help, just don't drink, go to meetings, whatever....just stop drinking. If you can't, welcome to the club. Neither could I
Old 10-20-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Heathen

There's lots of theories out there about what alcoholism is, how it starts, how it ends...

doesn't matter.. glad you're sober.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by tacks View Post
Having said that there once was a time when i did control my drinking.
To paraphrase the AA Big Book, if you had to control something, it was out of control.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Freedom.

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by AA's definition of an alcoholic.
I believe that AA would take the position that one is either an alcohol for life or NOT an alcoholic for life. I don't think they would subscribe to the notion that one who is NOT an alcoholic can become an alcoholic.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I believe you can develope a dependency on alcohol. I have no immediate family who are alcoholics although my mother was adopted so I don't know about my maternal grandparents.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by tacks View Post
Hi Freedom.

I believe that AA would take the position that one is either an alcohol for life or NOT an alcoholic for life. I don't think they would subscribe to the notion that one who is NOT an alcoholic can become an alcoholic.
Yer close, but backwards.

Once an alcoholic, there's no going BACK.
There are 1000's who are convinced they were alcoholic as far back as they can remember in life and others, like me, who had to work at it. The deal is, once you ARE, you are. period. I will ALWAYS be an alcoholic. I can wait 10 years....20 yrs.......30 yrs.....I'll still be an alcoholic. I can NEVER go back to "conventional" or moderate drinking. (and besides, NO alkie in their right mind wants to drink "moderately" for long)
Old 10-20-2010, 01:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
and Tacks... I had MANY years of successful drinking, many years where I could take it or leave it, many years where there probably wasn't any sort of alcohol problem.

but......somewhere along the way......I crossed that invisible line to where I couldn't stop. period. could NOT stop no matter what I tried.

You can either stop on a non-spiritual basis or you can't. If you can, you're not an alcoholic - get some support, get some help, just don't drink, go to meetings, whatever....just stop drinking. If you can't, welcome to the club. Neither could I
Thanks DayTrader,
Very interesting. I appreciate you posting.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yer close, but backwards.

Once an alcoholic, there's no going BACK.
Absolutely! You can't change a pickle back into a cucumber. I'm a pickle, but a sober pickle.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

and besides, NO alkie in their right mind wants to drink "moderately" for long

LOL. That's very funny.

Unfortunately it's also very true.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

So all the people who quit without a spiritual awakening are not alcoholics...gosh it must be so nice to know what shoes these people are walking in that you can be sure they are not alcoholics.

Isn't there a step in AA about the ego somewhere?
Old 10-20-2010, 02:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Nevermind. I'm losing my mind.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Or maybe it's a person like me who doesn't believe in spirituality and most definetly has an addiction problem to alcohol (the very definition of an alcoholic) who was able to stop on a non-spiritual basis.