View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010, 05:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dratsab

Wings,

I'm sorry to hear about your relapse, but I'm glad you are back on track in your recovery. For some reason, DXM became my DoC as well. People think it's funny that I always tend to fall back on over the counter cough medicines to get high when I've tried (and have access) so many other drugs. So I often feel like people don't really take this particular addiction seriously (especially when you are a 31 year old with what appears to the outside world as a really stable life).

One of the best things I think you did was to tell your husband right away. In my last relapse, I had been clean of DXM for over three years. When I drank my first bottle a couple of months ago, I didn't tell my wife. I told myself I would only use on a controllable level. But I ended up using more and more until I recently realized that I was drinking a bottle of cough medicine almost every day before I went into work.

I don't know what your DXM abuse history has been like, but I know mine has been one of secrecy. I was always too ashamed to admit how dependent I was on this thing that only dumb teens were supposedly doing. I lied to my wife and friends. I even did a pretty good job lying to myself about how dependent I was on DXM. This has been going on for 13 years for me. Being alone with this addiction (and probably every addition) really sucks.