View Single Post
Old 07-16-2004, 11:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
KelKel

Hi there Danielle,
so good to see you...

I used to struggle with my Babtist/Catholic/Mormon introduction to religion.
I started reading about all the religions of the world and found that a common thread runs through most of them.
It was not until I was introduced to the beliefs of Native Americans and sat in the sweat lodge, that I truly felt that I had found a Higher Power that felt real and true to me.

There is a childrens book that I bought for my son years ago that I loved and I felt it conveyed to my son my personal belief system...
Nomaste'

It is called "old Turtle"
Here is a book review....

Amazon.com
When all of creation--trees, stones, ants, the sky, fish—-begins arguing over who or what God is, quiet Old Turtle is the only one who has the wisdom and ability to see beyond herself to capture the essence. The debate escalates until Old Turtle finally speaks: "STOP!" She accepts and incorporates the beliefs of all the creatures: "God is indeed deep," she says to the fish in the sea, "and much higher than high," she tells the mountains. "God is gentle and powerful. Above all things and within all things... God IS." Old Turtle, after silencing the crowds with her understanding, makes a prediction about the appearance of a new "family of beings" in the world. These beings, human beings, do appear, and soon are fighting among themselves over the nature of God. It is only when people start listening to the mountains and winds and stones and stars that they actually begin to hear--and to heal the earth.
A graceful fable, with elegant, dreamlike watercolors by illustrator Cheng-Khee Chee, Douglas Wood's modern-day classic makes a hushed but strong environmental statement, as well as a plea for universal acceptance. (Ages 5 and older) --Emilie Coulter --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.